Ontologies Come of Age workshop proceedings

From: Alexander Garcia Castro <alexgarciac@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 21:29:35 +0100
To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@ontolog.cim3.net>, semantic-web@w3.org, Linking Open Data <public-lod@w3.org>, W3C HCLSIG hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>, protege-owl-request@lists.stanford.edu
Dear all, the Ontologies Come of Age workshop proceedings have been
published; they are available at:  http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-809

The maturity of ontologies as components of production software as well as
the promise of the Semantic
 Web were presented in 2001, “The Semantic Web: Why, What, and How”
(Fensel, Hendler, Lieberman,
 Wahister, 2001). However, ever since this book was published we have seen
several authors addressing
 the same problem, that of making the case for ontologies and the Semantic
Web (SW); for instance, the
 Ontology Summit had “Making the case for Ontologies” as their 2011 theme.
In fairness, the Semantic
 Web has been an elusive concept; although, it has promised to
fundamentally change our experience of
 the Web and we have all enjoyed the uprising of Linked Data, very little
has changed for the end-user and
 we have not yet seen new levels of understanding emerging from the web of
data. In spite of
 improvements in the generation, distribution, accessibility and retrieval
of information, technology has not
 fundamentally changed our experience of the Web; more broadly speaking,
our relation with information.

More information about OCAS: http://ocas.mywikipaper.org/

--
Alexander Garcia