Re: How to express something is-located-at an org:Site

From: Jakob Voss <jakob.voss@gbv.de>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 17:21:25 +0100
To: public-lod@w3.org
CC: Dave Reynolds <dave@epimorphics.com>, Public GLD WG <public-gld-wg@w3.org>
On 08.11.2011 15:11, Phil Archer wrote:

> Thanks for raising this. Can I ask you what your use case is?
>
> The Government Linked Data Working Group [1] is chartered to look at
> this ontology and your use cases would be useful input to that process.

In our union catalog we have > 50 million copies of > 30 million
publications in > 80 libraries. I am about to create an RDF
representation of these libraries and their locations to express the
availability of documents in libraries. For this purpose I created the
DAIA ontology: http://purl.org/ontology/daia

Here is an example in RDF/Turtle. The library <my:library> has closed
stacks (<my:closedstacks>), a main building (<my:mainbuilding>), and a
digital library access site (<my:digitallibrary>). For a particular
document (<my:abstractdocument>) it has three copies, one located at
each of the sites:

@prefix schema: <http://schema.org/> .
@prefix org: <http://www.w3.org/ns/org#> .
@prefix dct: <http://purl.org/dc/terms/> .
@prefix frbr: <http://purl.org/vocab/frbr/core#> .
@prefix daia: <http://purl.org/ontology/daia/> .
@prefix bibo: <http://purl.org/ontology/bibo/> .

<my:library> a schema:Library, org:Organization ;
   org:hasSite
     <my:closedstacks>,
     <my:mainbuilding>,
     <my:digitallibrary> .

<my:abstractdocument> a bibo:Document ;
   daia:exemplar
     <my:book1>, <my:book2>, <my:ebook1> .

<my:book1> a frbr:Item
    dct:spatial <my:closedstacks> .

<my:book2> a frbr:Item
    dct:spatial <my:mainbuilding> .

<my:ebook1>
    dct:spatial <my:digitallibrary> .

The current solution is to use dct:spatial and an additional class that
combines org:Site and dct:Location:

daia:Storage a owl:Class ;
   rdfs:comment "A place where instances of frbr:Item are stored."@en ;
   rdfs:subClassOf dct:Location, org:Site .

It would be more convenient to know that every org:Site is a dct:Site.

Jakob

--
Jakob Vo▀ <jakob.voss@gbv.de>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 G÷ttingen, Germany