Linked Data Visualization using Microsoft's PivotViewer atop SPARQL Endpoints

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:55:03 -0400
To: Virtuoso Users <virtuoso-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
CC: "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>, bio2rdf@googlegroups.com, "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>
All,

For a number of months I've shared a plethora of PivotViewer +
LinkedData style visualization demos via my del.icio.us bookmark
collections [1]. The entire endeavor has been about transparently
integrating Linked Data from any SPARQL endpoint with a very powerful
data visualization tool that alleviates problems associated with thorny
Linked Data issues such as:

1. raw URIs in plain sight -- you have icons and labels (with URIs only
surfacing when 'best effort label discovery hesuristics' fail)

2. intuitive end-user interaction patterns that encourage data exploration

3. leveraging SPARQL via cut, paste, and share oriented patterns using URLs.

Deliverables from this endeavor include:

1. a PivotViewer control -- data representation and presentation are
loosely coupled (unlike others that inextricably bind both)

2. Virtuoso SPARQL extension that adds CXML to the extensive list of
supported query results format -- use of SELECT (includes SPARQL-FED to
3rd party endpoints), DESCRIBE,
     and CONSTRUCT queries for generating dynamic CXML collections that
include deep zoom image pyramids, and digital zoom image collections.

This technology is now available to anyone for use via:

1. public endpoints such as our URIBurner and LOD Cloud Cache instances
-- just pick CXML as you output option then pass SPARQL Protocol URL to
PivotViewer

2. your own Virtuoso installations (commercial edition only)

3. your individual or service specific Amazon EC2 AMIs .

Links:

1. http://www.delicious.com/kidehen/pivot_collection_app -- live demo
collection

2. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtSparqlCxml
-- technology guide covering inner workings and howtos.

Kingsley Idehen
President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com