Re: Design issues 5-star data section tidy up

"Is that bad? For Linked Data to be useful, you need to be able to mix
and share.". Sorry but that's simply not true. For it to be useful *to
you*, perhaps, but (Closed) Linked Data still has massive value as a
technology and not all data should or can be fully open!

Linking and Openness are two unrelated, but great, things to do but you
can do them independently. There is still value in data which is Linked
but not entirely or even slightly open.

Open is the gold standard, but it's not the only form of Linked Data.
There's a massive value to companies to produce Linked Intranets which
will link and use open data from outside, but certainly not be open.

At the heart of our university are lectures. From a Linked data
perspective, these are a motherlode of linkage. A lecture is the nexus
point joining: A room, eg. <http://id.southampton.ac.uk/room/59-1257>
with a lecturer, eg. <http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/60> with a number
of students, with the URI of a Module
<http://data.southampton.ac.uk/module/COMP1004/2010-2011.html> and the
specific instance of that module
<http://id.southampton.ac.uk/module-instance/10622/2010-2011> and
resources for that lecture
<http://www.edshare.soton.ac.uk/id/eprint/455> . However, unlike most of
our other data, it would take a huge policy decision to make this
information freely available, but I can still make it available in a
closed form to a student or staff member, upon authentication, which
means that they can still have it on an iphone app / google calendar etc.

Linked is a technology.
Open is an ideology.

As previously suggested, I think it would aid understanding to award
stars for the use of the technology, but only gold stars if you use an
open license otherwise people will get *nothing* for getting the data
out while they try to arrange a license.

Right now <http://id.southampton.ac.uk/dataset/eprints> is technically
should get ZERO stars as it's very complex to work out what license we
have the right to use. Some of the abstracts of papers may legally
belong to publishers and it may be OK for us to publish and distribute
tham as data, but not to grant licenses on something we don't own. This
dataset is on two journeys, one ends with an open license (silver to
gold), one with it getting fully linked into the data web (* to *****).
They converge at the heady heights of 5 gold-star fully linked and open
data.

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/1248

You should read the ECS Web Team blog: http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/