Re: ANN: LDIF - Linked Data Integration Framework V0.1 released.

Hi Ruben,

> Thanks for the fast and detailed reply, it's a very interesting
discussion.

> Indeed, there are several ways for mapping and identity resolution.
> But what strikes me is that people in the community seem to be
insufficiently aware
> of the possibilities and performance of current reasoners.

Possibly. But luckily we are today in the position to just give it a try.

So an idea with my Semantic Web Challenge hat on:

Why not take the Billion Triples 2011 data set
(http://challenge.semanticweb.org/) which consists of 2 billion triples that
have been recently crawled from the Web and try to find all data in the
dataset about authors and their publications, map this data to a single
target schema and merge all duplicates.

Our current LDIF in-memory implementation is not capable of doing this as 2
billion triples are too much data for it. But with the planned Hadoop-based
implementation we are hoping to get into this range.

It would be very interesting if somebody else would try to solve the task
above using a reasoned-based approach and we could then compare the number
of authors and publications identified as well as the duration of the data
integration process.

Anybody interested?

Cheers,

Chris

> As you can see the data translation requires lots of structural
> transformations as well as complex property value transformations using
> various functions. All things where current logical formalisms are not
very
> good at.

Oh yes, they are. All needed transformations in your paper can be performed
by at least two reasoners: cwm [1] and EYE [2] by using built-ins [3].
Include are regular expressions, datatype transforms.
Frankly, every transform in the R2R example can be expressed as an N3 rule.

> If I as a application developer
> want to get a job done, what does it help me if I can exchange mappings
> between different tools that all don't get the job done?

Because different tools can contribute different results, and if you use a
common language and idiom, they all can work with the same data and
metadata.

> more and more developers know SPARQL which makes it easier for them to
learn R2R.

The developers that know SPARQL is a proper subset of those that know plain
RDF, which is what I suggest using. And even if rules are necessary, N3 is
only a small extension of RDF.

> Benchmark we have the feeling that SPARQL engines are more suitable for
> this task then current reasoning engines due to their performance problems
> as well as problems to deal with inconsistent data.

The extremely solid performance [4] of EYE is too little known. It can
achieve things in linear time that other reasoners can never solve.

But my main point is semantics. Why make a new system with its own meanings
and interpretations, when there is so much to do with plain RDF and its
widely known vocabularies (RDFS, OWL)?
Ironically, a tool which contributes to the reconciliation of different RDF
sources, does not use common vocabularies to express well-known
relationships.

Cheers,

Ruben

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/cwm.html