Re: ANN: LDIF - Linked Data Integration Framework V0.1 released.

Hi Ruben,

thank you for your detailed feedback.

Of course it is always a question of taste how you prefer to express data
translation rules and I agree that simple mappings can also be expressed
using standard OWL constructs.

When designing the R2R mapping language, we first analyzed the real-world
requirements that arise if you try to properly integrate data from existing
Linked Data on the Web. We summarize our findings in Section 5 of the
following paper
http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/en/institute/pwo/bizer/research/publications/
BizerSchultz-COLD-R2R-Paper.pdf
As you can see the data translation requires lots of structural
transformations as well as complex property value transformations using
various functions. All things where current logical formalisms are not very
good at.

Others reasons why we choose to base the mapping language on SPARQL where
that:

1. more and more developers know SPARQL which makes it easier for them to
learn R2R.
2. we to be able to translate large amounts (billions of triples in the
mid-term) of messy inconsistent Web data and from our experience with the
BSBM Benchmark we have the feeling that SPARQL engines are more suitable for
this task then current reasoning engines due to their performance problems
as well as problems to deal with inconsistent data.

I disagree with you that R2R mappings are not suitable for being exchanged
on the Web. In contrast they were especially designed for being published
and discovered on the Web and allow partial mappings from different sources
to be easily combined (see paper above for details about this).

I think your argument about the portability of mappings between different
tools currently is only partially valid. If I as a application developer
want to get a job done, what does it help me if I can exchange mappings
between different tools that all don't get the job done?

Also note, that we aim with LDIF to provide for identity resolution in
addition to schema mapping. It is well known that identity resolution in
practical setting requires rather complex matching heuristics (see Silk
papers for details about different matchers that are usually employed) and
identity resolution is again a topic where reasoning engines don't have too
much to offer.

But again, there are different ways and tastes about how to express mapping
rules and identity resolution heuristics. R2R and Silk LSL are our
approaches to getting the job done and we are of course happy if other
people provide working solutions for the task of integrating and cleansing
messy data from the Web of Linked Data and are happy to compare our approach
with theirs.

Cheers,

Chris