Re: ANN: LDIF - Linked Data Integration Framework V0.1 released.

Hi Chris,

I've taken a look at your work and it is certainly interesting.

However, I have a couple questions with regarding the approach you have taken.
The example [1] shows that we need to create a specific mapping. But can we call this "semantic"?
It is a configuration file which can only be understood by a specific tool. It could as well have been XML or another format.
Why not choose to express the same things using existing, semantic predicates, which can be understood by different tools and express actual knowledge?
And why not rely on existing ontologies that express relations semantically, and reuse portable knowledge?
Example:

mp:Gene
    r2r:sourcePattern "?SUBJ a genes:gene";
    r2r:targetPattern "?SUBJ a smwcat:Gene".

could be

genes:gene owl:sameAs smwcat:Gene.

Not only does this have universally accepted semantics, it is also portable to different situations. For example:
_:specializedGene rdfs:subClassOf genes:gene.

Another thing is that I do not agree with the pattern literals.
If we take a look at such a pattern:

"?SUBJ a genes:gene",

we see there are a lot of implicit things here.
First, the prefix needs to be looked up using the r2r:prefixDefinitions predicate. So a specific syntax (Turtle prefixes) is tied to a conceptual model. I can imagine a lot of problems here. Clearly, r2r:prefixDefinitions is some kind of functional property. But when are two prefixDefinitions the same? Exact string comparison is not the answer.
But the bigger problem I'm having is with the variables. With the ?SUBJ notation, you seem to add implicit support for universal quantification. This last sentence clarifies the big issue: "implicit". Variables are placeholders identified by a certain name in a certain scope, but the name itself is unimportant.

Concretely, "?SUBJ a genes:gene" should mean the same as "?s a genes:gene". Except that it doesn't.
Because now, "?SUBJ a smwcat:Gene" is no longer meaningful. (Similar to the above, how to define equality?)
And okay, you can argue that the scope is not the string, but the RDF document.
But what if I put the second statement in a different document? It's RDF, right, or is this an application-specific configuration file?
And okay, we can say that the scope is the entity it belongs to. But then we have a major problem:

mp:GeneID
  r2r:mappingRef mp:Gene;
  r2r:sourcePattern "?SUBJ genes:GeneId ?x";
  r2r:targetPattern "?SUBJ smwprop:KeggGeneId ?'x'^^xsd:string";

GeneID also uses the ?SUBJ variable, but also has a relationship with Gene. This puts them in the same scope. But clearly, the ?SUBJ from Gene and the ?SUBJ from GeneID should be different. This is a serious problem, which cannot be solved rigorously, so the semantics will remain messy, since variables and scope are not formally defined.

You can invalidate my arguments by saying that this RDF document is only meant for a specific purpose etc. But why use RDF then, which is all about portable semantics? See my question at the top of this e-mail.

As a solution, I would propose a W3C team submission which deals with quantification properly: Notation3 [2]. They really got quantification right. Look how much more semantic (and thus portable!) things become:

mp:hasPathway
	a r2r:PropertyMapping;
	r2r:mappingRef    	mp:Gene;
	r2r:sourcePattern 	"?SUBJ genes:hasPathway ?x";
	r2r:targetPattern	"?SUBJ smwprop:IsInvolvedIn ?x . ?x smwprop:Involves ?SUBJ";

becomes

{
  ?s genes:hasPathway ?x.
}
=>
{
  ?s smwprop:IsInvolvedIn ?x
  ?x smwprop:Involves ?s.
}.

Note how the variables now have proper scoped and meaning. But even quantification isn't necessary here:

genes:hasPathway rdfs:subPropertyOf smwprop:IsInvolvedIn.
genes:hasPathway rdfs:subPropertyOf smwprop:Involves.

This exactly matches the definition of a subproperty [3]: "If a property P' is a super-property of a property P, then all pairs of resources which are related by P are also related by P'."

The major benefit of this is that everything can happen by general-purpose Semantic Web reasoners, which rely on the *explicit* semantics present in the document. The semantics are portable to different situations and contexts.

I'm eager to learn about the reasons of adaption of this custom vocabulary and methodology, and the added value of this approach, instead of relying on standards and widely accepted practices, and how your approach is portable to other contexts.

[1] http://www.assembla.com/code/ldif/git/nodes/ldif/ldif-singlemachine/src/main/resources/ldif/local/example/test2/mappings/ALL-to-Wiki.r2r.ttl?rev=176428845b9594e28a2f0362916de23cc821502c
[2] http://www.w3.org/TeamSubmission/n3/
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#def-subproperty

Sincerely,
--
Ruben Verborgh

Ghent University - IBBT
Faculty of Engineering and Architecture
Department of Electronics and Information Systems (ELIS)
Multimedia Lab
Gaston Crommenlaan 8 bus 201
B-9050 Ledeberg-Ghent
Belgium