Re: Official DBpedia Live Release

Hi Tom,

On 24.06.2011 14:45, Tom Heath wrote:
> Nice :)
>
> Quick question: on the basis of point 6, will resources in the main
> http://dbpedia.org/ namespace soon reflect the latest changes from
> DBpedia Live?

Currently, no. (Of course they will reflect the latest changes every few
months in case of a release.)

> Presumably at this point the separate live.dbpedia
> SPARQL endpoint would become redundant?

No, the endpoints will run in parallel (for now at least). Some explanation:

There are two extraction modes of DBpedia:
* dump based (http://dumps.wikimedia.org/)
* live (via update stream)

The dump based extraction is performed in many (>90) languages. It
generates all the files at http://downloads.dbpedia.org and some of them
are loaded in the official endpoint
(http://wiki.dbpedia.org/DatasetsLoaded) - mostly files extracted from
the English Wikipedia, but also labels and abstracts in different
languages. The live version of DBpedia currently works on the English
Wikipedia edition and does not generate dumps. Currently, we plan to run
both in parallel, so the live version does not supersede the static dump
based extraction.

Of course, anything we are doing is open for discussion and we welcome
suggestions.

I'll post other replies on the DBpedia mailing list to avoid too much
cross mailing list traffic.

Kind regards,

Jens

--
Dr. Jens Lehmann
AKSW/MOLE Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig