Re: Think before you write Semantic Web crawlers

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Pablo Mendes <pablomendes@gmail.com>wrote:

> Maybe we should also consider that companies/universities advising people
> (esp. small companies) to publish Linked Data, should give them complete
> advice, including protection.  If their providers are not able to implement
> such simple solutions such as throttling, white/blacklisting, then this a
> business opportunity. One could sell Safe Linked Data provision (potentially
> including all the WebID goodness) as a package that both shows the beauty
> and protects from bad behavior.

Sorry, but if paying for a service is what is required to protect publishers
from massive abuse of their resources, then I will personally email every
Drupal user account on drupal.org and tell them to turn of RDF module and
forget about Linked Data. Fortunately, I think that the Linked Data
community can come up with a better way to handle this kind of abuse.

I know this proposal was with the best of intentions, but it simply isn't
something I would be willing to stand behind.

-Lin