Re: owl databases

On 6/18/11 6:58 AM, Aliabbas Petiwala wrote:
> we are looking forward to make an OWL ontology database as a mirror of
> a relational database for an upcoming social network semantic website
> is it a good decision to make?
>
> actually we can go for three options:
>
> 1. complete owl database, no relational db
> 2. owl mirror of relational db
> 3. only relational
>
> we are very much interested in the second option   is it wise to use
> mirror of ontology database as a relation database? how can owL
> Ontology database be efficient than a relational one considering that
> we will need to query a lot of external databases like
> dbpedia,freebase etc?
>
> for the second option,  ontological databases requires us to make a
> query against hundreds of different schemata and classes properties
> which seems to be a costly affair. And is it a wise decision to go for
> a complete ontological database for a social networking website ? The
> project is involves sharing of lot of small chunks of information
> across an array of distributed users building a personalized model of
> the user.
>
> ontotext, http://www.systap.com,http://www.opencalais.com/ provides a
> solution for semantic repositories , its really difficult to determine
> which is the best option for a STARTUP like us and we can't go in for
> these expensive paid consultations. so what are the options and
> solutions availaible for us?

Take a look at options for generating Linked Data graphs from RDBMS
sources that include ability to exploit OWL based inference
functionality at scale. There is a state of art resource [1] that shed
light into this matter.

Speaking for Virtuoso (our product) it will produce an OWL ontology from
an RDBMS schema which can be mapped to other shared
schemas/vocabularies/ontologies. You can exploit inference rules via a
backward-chaining reasoner. To take full advantage of this you have to
use a hybrid or transient and materialized linked data views derived
from your RDBMS data sources. Anyway, doing all of that is just a Wizard
option as View generation time. In addition, we also now have support
for R2RML (which is just a mapping to our old Meta Schema Language for
doing the same thing).

Links:

1. http://www.w3.org/wiki/Rdb2RdfXG/StateOfTheArt -- RDBMS to RDF state
of art

2. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VOSSQL2RDF --
a little dated but generally reflective start point for information
about Virtuoso's Linked Data views capability atop heterogeneous ODBC or
JDBC accessible RDBMS data sources

3.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtRdb2RDFViewsGeneration#OneClickLinkedDataGenerationAndDemployment
-- Wizard based generation of Linked Data views atop ODBC / JDBC
accessible RDBMS data sources.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com