Re: Squaring the HTTP-range-14 circle [was Re: Schema.org in RDF ...]

On 6/14/11 9:45 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> re
>
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 08:33:47PM -0700, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> But if you are a semantic inference engine, and you get the dog and its
>> picture muddled, will you likely generate a lot of nonsensical assertions?
>> Answer, Yes, you will. Which is the key point at issue here.
> We should be able to present the user a lot of sensical assertions (and maybe
> some nonsensical ones) if we know he is concerned with information about dogs
> instead of information about pictures.
>
> Anyway - I think special purpose reasoners will play a much bigger role in the
> near future than general purpose reasoners because they perform better with
> big and messy data.
>
> And publishers will start to differenciate between dogs and pictures of dogs as
> soon as it provides them added value. Until that day, we will have to live
> with the situation and try to nudge people in the right direction (which
> includes httprange-14). But mass adoption means messy data in any case.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael Brunnbauer

Yep!

+1000

We just have to accept that the Web is an ocean liner scale space,
things are going to happen slowly, courtesy of opportunity costs
materialization. Unfortunately, people don't like prescriptions that are
preventative in nature, they simply like to have cures for problems as
they arise. Sad but true, at least in my years of experience.

As stated repeatedly, we should never scorn or take issue with any
entity that contributes structured data (in any format) to the Web. Half
bread is better than none :-)

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com