Re: Schema.org in RDF ...

On 6/12/11 8:10 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> Kingsley, Im not exactly sure what you are saying in all this, but... (read on)
>
> On Jun 12, 2011, at 9:49 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> This has nothing to do with books about Obama.
>>>
>>> It's about the difference between an URI-named resource which can return, say, a JSON representation of Obama; and a URI-named resource that *is* Obama. Explaining why using the same URI for both of those supposedly breaks the Web isn't *quite* that easy.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Richard
>>>
>> Richard,
>>
>> It isn't about braking the Web or its AWWW, really. It's about how its always been when dealing with data via programs. An Object has:
>>
>> 1. Name
>> 2. Representation Address
>> 3. Actual Representation.
> It also has 4. Its actual self, ie the object.

Yes it does. I was commenting on the Web Resource specifically, and it
use as a mechanism for agency via observation subject representation.

As per your comment about self, the whole picture goes something like this:

1. Actual Observation Subject
2. Subject Identifier operating as a Name
3. Medium specific Representation Location (Address)
4. Actual Medium specific Representation.

2-4 collectively deliver agents and agency in a given context such as
e.g. WWW .

> In the example above, Obama, the living breathing President of the USA. Not a representation or an address of any kind, not accessible by HTML in any way, not a piece of information. Still, can be referred to by a name, and described by a representation. And this is what the whole discussion is about.

And that's what I am responding to:

1. Obama - The human that doesn't exist on the Web in physical form
2. http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama -- Name
3. http://dbpedia.org/page/Barack_Obama -- Address of an HTML based
resource that describes him; you can also get this description in
alternative formats via:
     -- http://dbpedia.org/data/Barack_Obama.json
     -- http://dbpedia.org/data/Barack_Obama.ntriples
     -- etc..

4. Byte stream I receive when I de-reference the Name:
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Obama -- actual representation delivered via
indirection operation .

It isn't as complex and we are making it seem, really. Non Web
Programmers have worked with de-reference (indirection) and address-of
operations via operators for a long time en route to crafting very
sophisticated Linked Data Structures. Courtesy, of TimBL's Linked Data
meme, graph based Linked Data Structures can now be crafted using
de-referencable URIs (in the generic sense) with HTTP scheme URIs as a
cheap albeit unintuitive option.

Kingsley

> Pat
>
>> I can even articulate this using the much overloaded "Resource" term by saying: courtesy of Linked Data tweak (or evolution) Web Resources now has a:
>>
>> 1. Name
>> 2. Representation Address
>> 3. Actual Representation.
>>
>> Prior to the use of Links for structured data representation a Resource had a:
>>
>> 1. Representation Address
>> 2. Actual Representation.
>>

>> It really is as simple as outlined above.
>>
>> HTTP explicitly includes the ability to negotiate Actual Representation via mime types.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kingsley Idehen
>> President&   CEO
>> OpenLink Software
>> Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
>> Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
>> Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen

> IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen