Re: Schema.org in RDF ...

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 17:49:20 +0100
To: public-lod@w3.org
On 6/12/11 3:42 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> On 12 Jun 2011, at 11:12, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>> I've yet to encounter a person who didn't understand the difference between a book about Obama and Obama.
> This has nothing to do with books about Obama.
>
> It's about the difference between an URI-named resource which can return, say, a JSON representation of Obama; and a URI-named resource that *is* Obama. Explaining why using the same URI for both of those supposedly breaks the Web isn't *quite* that easy.
>
> Best,
> Richard

Richard,

It isn't about braking the Web or its AWWW, really. It's about how its
always been when dealing with data via programs. An Object has:

1. Name
2. Representation Address
3. Actual Representation.

I can even articulate this using the much overloaded "Resource" term by
saying: courtesy of Linked Data tweak (or evolution) Web Resources now
has a:

1. Name
2. Representation Address
3. Actual Representation.

Prior to the use of Links for structured data representation a Resource
had a:

1. Representation Address
2. Actual Representation.

It really is as simple as outlined above.

HTTP explicitly includes the ability to negotiate Actual Representation
via mime types.

Kingsley Idehen
President&  CEO
OpenLink Software