Re: Schema.org in RDF ...

On 12 Jun 2011, at 00:51, Pat Hayes wrote:
> Well, I am sympathetic to not defending HTTP-range-14 and nobody ever, ever again even mentioning "information resource", but I don't think we can just make this go away by ignoring it. What do we say when a URI is used both to retrieve, um sorry, identify, a Web page but is also used to refer to something which is quite definitely not a web page?

Then we study the specific data provider to figure out if the published assertions are about the web page or the topic of the web page, or apply various kinds of heuristics to figure it out.

If we are logicians, then we say: “Oh, how clever, they are punning.”

> What do we say when the range of a property is supposed to be, say, people, but its considered OK to insert a string to stand in place of the person?

Well, I can define a class that contains both people (in the foaf:Person sense) and names of people (that is, string literals). This is not pretty, but it is pragmatic. A data consumer can use rules or SPARQL CONSTRUCT to make the shape of the data more uniform.

Best,
Richard