Re: {Disarmed} Re: Schema.org in RDF ...

On 6/8/11 11:16 AM, Michael Hausenblas wrote:
> Christopher,
>
>> All in all, if we can write a library which can read a page with
>> schema.org data encoded and spit out RDF, who cares?
>
> Exactly. This is the motivation behind [1] and any23 will soon support
> it as well. Care to chime in? (not sure if Python is your main
> language, though IIRC ;)

We are doing the same thing with our Linked Data middleware (Sponger
Cartridges).

Yesterday we delivered item one for anyone to use (including Micheal and
Co. re. schema.rdfs.org).

Next we just finish the job as we did with Google Vocab two years ago.

The beauty of Linked Data is that it cannot be held hostage by anyone :-)

Kingsley

> [...]
>> triples, albeit there will often be graphs with nothing but bnodes.
>>
>> There's no way normal web developers will assign URIs to things until
>> they see the benefit... Could we suggest a trivial extension to
>> schema.org to let people add URIs for itemtypes.

>> attempt from "schema.org" claiming to be
>> "http://schema.org/Organization" about=MailScanner has detected a
>> possible fraud attempt from "totl.net" claiming to be
>> "http://totl.net/#org">
>>
>> If I had more hack-slack I'd knock up a library which takes a
>> schema.org encoded page and spits out triples.
>>
>> Are people going to create some semantic abominations using
>> schema.org? of course, but they were already able to do that in RDFa.
>> This is going to be used by the same kind of people who were
>> implementing RSS a decade ago. Just accept that the world is going to
>> end up with a big pile of shonky data!
>>
>> schema.org is so very much more human-readable than RDFa. It wins
>> hands down on that.
>>
>> We're the linked data community. RDF is a tool to an end, no more.
>> Rather than sit around and feel glum about this coming wave of data
>> being a bit wrong, we should be looking at how to help it become
>> Linked (and Open).
>>
>> I think we made a big mistake in using http URIs. It's too confusing.
>> If we'd used <thing://totl.net/> with the convention that you can
>> find facts about it by converting "thing:" to "http:" then the world
>> would be much less confused about URIs. I know this is probably an
>> old topic of conversation, but it's a massive impediment to the
>> public understanding of URIs for things not available via the HTTP
>> protocol.
>>
>> I'm amazed that people are so surprised about schema.org. Don't you
>> realise that RDFa, RDF/XML and using http:// URIs for real world
>> things is really really confusing and make the amazingly useful idea
>> of Linked Open Data much harder to get to groups with?
>>
>> These days when I teach people about RDF data I start with N-Triples
>> as it's the easiest format to grok.
>>
>> Sorry for getting a bit ranty, but this community has no focus on
>> lowering the barriers which make it hard for the mainstream web
>> community to start producing linked data. I find that very very
>> frustrating.
>>
>> Harry Halpin wrote:

>>> Actually, I'm also going to point out that the W3C asked for EU
>>> funding about a year ago for something *very* similar  - and at the
>>> time had the interest even of Google - for hosting a RDF version of
>>> something quite similar to schema.org. But thanks to the wonderful
>>> judgement of the reviewers of EU proposals and the Semantic Web
>>> academic community, we weren't given funding :)
>>>
>>> Obviously Google and friends see a good opportunity here to actually
>>> make a place to find structured data vocabularies on the Web. While I
>>> wish they had better support for RDFa, I can see that the whole
>>> RDFa/microdata/microformats lack of convergence is causing a confusing

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen