Re: Schema.org in RDF ... expected Types in RDFS

A related matter:

Neither Google nor Yahoo are abandoning RDFa parsing. In fact, they improved their parsing in the past two days when they started to accept price information in GoodRelations only if the gr:validThrough value is a xsd:datetime literal in the future. I noticed this when suddenly my test-cases at

   http://www.heppnetz.de/rdfa4google/testcases.html

did no longer validate and I had to change the data.

Those examples also show that both of their parsers can handle multiple RDFa vocabularies, e.g. combining GoodRelations with the Vehicle Sales Ontology http://purl.org/vso/ns or the Tickets Ontology, http://purl.org/tio/ns.

So it is your choice to stick to open vocabularies for Web data and RDFa, instead of trashing superior work for a single, rigid, one-size-fits-all taxonomy and the much lesser used Microdata syntax. I am not sure whether paving the way for schema.org into the RDF world is the right signal.

If you want to make sure that open, RDFa-based data will be honored by Google and Yahoo, the best thing you can do is foster the creation of such. The most effective way would be for all of you to encourage students to write GoodRelations extension modules for popular shop software, or to manually add it to large shop sites, e.g. as thesis projects. This is by far the strongest lever to foster mass adoption of RDFa.

We already have such for Magento, Joomla, WPEC/Wordpress; Drupal Commerce, Prestashop, and oxid eSales are coming. See

http://wiki.goodrelations-vocabulary.org/Shop_extensions

Best
Martin