Re: Dataset URIs and metadata.

Hello Michael,

On 2011-07-22 10:59, Michael Hausenblas wrote:

> Frans,
>
>> I had a quick look. But I could not find it. I had a closer look now
>> and I see the URI probably is http://dbpedia.org/void/Dataset. I have
>> tried it. Redirection to either HTML or RDF seems to be in place.
>> HTML request lead to http://dbpedia.org/void/page/Dataset, which
>> shows a table of VoID properties. The RDF redirection (to
>> http://dbpedia.org/void/data/Dataset.rdf) does not seem to work, I
>> get an error.
>
> Sorry, you lost me here. Did you curl it or how did you get your
> findings?

Yes, I tried curl. I have just tried it again:

curl -H "Accept: application/rdf+xml"
http://dbpedia.org/void/data/Dataset.rdf

The response seems to be different from yesterday. Yesterday I
immediately got an error message. I am afraid I don't have the exact
message any more. The response I get now is different, a transaction
time out, which I get after waiting a bit.

Probably this is just a temporary situation and besides the point too.

>> Apart from the error, somehow this is not what I expected. I assumed
>> that the dataset URI is the URI of a dataset. It is the key to all
>> other data. If you want something from a dataset, you only need to
>> know this URI. So why is the dataset URI hard to find? Why isn't it
>> used when references are made to DBpedia? Why isn't it the same as
>> the base URI (http://dbpedia.org)?.
>
> <http://lod-cloud.net/dbpedia> a void:Dataset;
>                                foaf:homepage <http://dbpedia.org/>;
>
> Says everything, or?
Well, let me see...

First of all, please know that I am new to Linked Data and RDF, so there
is a chance I don't fully understand everything.

I think what it says is that there is a thing identified by the URI
http://lod-cloud.net/dbpedia, that that thing is a dataset and that its
home page is http://dbpedia.org/.

So, does this mean that the URI of the dataset (DBPedia) is
http://lod-cloud.net/dbpedia??

Sorry if I seem to be stupid, it is not my intention.

>> Probably VoID metadata/dataset URIs will be easier to discover once
>> the /.well-known/void trick (described in paragraph 7.2 of the W3C
>> VoID document) is widely adopted.
>
> Agreed. But it's not a 'trick'. It's called a standard.
Sorry about that!

Regards,
Frans

>>> http://linkeddata.deri.ie/