A proposal for handling bulk data requests

From: Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 11:39:20 +0100
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, Giovanni Tummarello <giovanni.tummarello@deri.org>
Cc: Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>, Jürgen Umbrich <juergen.umbrich@deri.org>

Kingsley, Gio, All,

An idea that arose out of a recent discussion with Juergen (in CC):
how about providing a sort of 'bulk data request' facility for your
SPARQL endpoints [1] [2] (as they are, I gather, the more popular ones
on the WoD ;)?

It could work as follows:

1. Someone uploads a VoID description [3] of the targeted datasets and
provides an email, Twitter, G+ handle or a WebID

2. You could generate the 'customized' dataset internally in a very
efficient manner.

3. Once available, the requester is notified by means of the provided
back-channel from 1.

I believe such a system in place would lower the crawling and bulk-
query costs re bandwidth, etc. on your end, and opens up a business
opportunity as well (think: WebID <-> Web Payments).

What do you think?

Cheers,
	Michael

[1] http://lod.openlinksw.com/sparql