Re: URI Comparisons: RFC 2616 vs. RDF

From: David Wood <david@3roundstones.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 15:51:34 -0500
Cc: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@GMAIL.COM>, Dave Reynolds <dave.e.reynolds@GMAIL.COM>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@W3.ORG>
To: nathan@webr3.org
On Jan 19, 2011, at 10:59, Nathan wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>> Nathan,
>> If you are going to make claims about the effect of other
>> specifications on RDF, could you please include pointers to the parts
>> of specifications that you are referring to, ideally with illustrative
>> examples of the problems you are? Absent that it is too difficult to
>> evaluate your claims.
>> The conversations on such topics too often devolve into serial opinion
>> dumping. If this is to be at all productive we need to be as precise
>> as possible.
>
> Good idea :)
>
> I'll create a new page on the wiki and add some examples over the next few days, then reply with a pointer later in the week.
>
> ps: as an illustration of how engrained URI normalization is, I've capitalized the domain names in the to: and cc: fields, I do hope the mail still come through, and hope that you'll accept this email as being sent to you. Hopefully we'll also find this mail in the archives shortly at htTp://lists.W3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2011Jan/ - Personally I'd hope that any statements made using these URIs (asserted by man or machine) would remain valid regardless of the (incorrect?-)casing.

Heh.  OK, I'll bite.  Domain names in email addressing are defined in IETF RFC 2822 (and its predecessor RFC 822), which defers the interpretation to RFC 1035 ("Domain names - implementation and specification).  RFC 1035 section 2.3.3 states that domain names in DNS, and therefore in (E)SMTP, are to be compared in a case-insensitive manner.

As far as I know, the W3C specs do not so refer to RFC 1035.

:)

Regards,
Dave