Re: URI Comparisons: RFC 2616 vs. RDF

On 1/17/11 10:51 AM, Martin Hepp wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> RFC 2616 [1, section 3.2.3] says that
>
> "When comparing two URIs to decide if they match or not, a client
> SHOULD use a case-sensitive octet-by-octet comparison of the entire
>    URIs, with these exceptions:
>
>       - A port that is empty or not given is equivalent to the default
>         port for that URI-reference;
>       - Comparisons of host names MUST be case-insensitive;
>       - Comparisons of scheme names MUST be case-insensitive;
>       - An empty abs_path is equivalent to an abs_path of "/".
>
>    Characters other than those in the "reserved" and "unsafe" sets (see
>    RFC 2396 [42]) are equivalent to their ""%" HEX HEX" encoding.
>
>    For example, the following three URIs are equivalent:
>
>       http://abc.com:80/~smith/home.html
>       http://ABC.com/%7Esmith/home.html
>       http://ABC.com:/%7esmith/home.html
> "
>
> Does this also hold for identifying RDF resources

Yes, where an RDF resource is a Data Container at an Address (URL).
Thus, equivalent results for de-referencing a URL en route to accessing
data.

No, when "resource" also implies an Entity (Data Item or Data Object)
that is assigned a Name via URI.

The examples above strike me as URLs. Of course,  cURL could indicate
otherwise, but for now (via my visual senses) they appear to be URLs
(resource addresses).

> a) in theory and
> b) in practice (e.g. in popular triplestores)?
>
> I did not test it yet, but I assume that not all implementations would
> treat
>
>    http://purl.org/NET/c4dm/event.owl#Event
>    HTTP://purl.org/NET/c4dm/event.owl#Event
>    http://PURL.org/NET/c4dm/event.owl#Event
>    http://purl.org:80/NET/c4dm/event.owl#Event
>
> as the same class.
>
> Any facts or opinions?