Re: Introducing Vocabularies of a Friend (VOAF)

On 1/15/11 2:23 PM, Stephane Fellah wrote:
> Sounds very interesting initiative. Based on my understanding, I think
> it should be possible to write a tool that read any OWL document and
> generate a VOAF document. May be Swoogle could be a good starting
> point, but not sure how the API can provide the list of ontology
> namespaces through the REST API. The imports section would corresponds
> to the imports statement. The tools would count the number of classes
> and properties in the ontology namespace. It would be interesting to
> aggregate all this information and see which vocabularies have the
> most influence using SNA algorithms.

You can also make SPARQL CONSTRUCTs against: http://lod.openlinksw.com
.. that's a massive quad store with most of the LOD cloud data sets. You
can see effect via http://lod.openlinksw.com/fct  (type in pattern:
Ontology and then filter by Type or Attributes).

Kingsley

> Best regards
> Stephane Fellah
>

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 1/15/11 3:13 AM, Egon Willighagen wrote:
>>     Hi Bernard,
>>
>>     On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Bernard Vatant
>>     <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>  <mailto:bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>  wrote:
>>>     VOAF is of course a clear homage to FOAF, which is the hub of the network :
>>>     more than half of the listed vocabularies rely on it one way or another.
>>>     I've asked Dan Brickley a couple of days ago if he did not mind this
>>>     friendly hack. Without answer from him, I just went ahead following the
>>>     adage "Qui ne dit mot consent".
>>     Maybe it's just Saturday morning, but what exactly is the goal of your
>>     VOAF effort? What problems with existing ontologies does it address?
>>     Just curious, as it sounds interesting...
>>
>>     Egon
>>
>     Egon,
>
>     If possible, please look at the links I posted in response to
>     Bernard's mail.
>
>     You can also look at some of my tweets about voaf (Twitter:
>     hastag: #voaf) which shows how the following questions can be
>     answered:
>
>     1. What are the sources of terms used in a given vocabulary?
>     2. Who authored the vocabularies in question?
>     3. Which terms are most commonly used, across vocabularies, and
>     when where these vocabularies created?
>
>     Basically, we have a vocabulary graph endowed with de-referencable
>     URIs that provides an extremely powerful mechanism for holistic
>     navigation of the LOD cloud or other data spaces (e.g. within
>     enterprise intranets).
>
>     All of the above still skims the surface of what VOAF delivers :-)
>
>     --
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Kingsley Idehen
>     President&  CEO