Re: Introducing Vocabularies of a Friend (VOAF)

On 1/15/11 3:13 AM, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> Hi Bernard,
>
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Bernard Vatant
> <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>  wrote:
>> VOAF is of course a clear homage to FOAF, which is the hub of the network :
>> more than half of the listed vocabularies rely on it one way or another.
>> I've asked Dan Brickley a couple of days ago if he did not mind this
>> friendly hack. Without answer from him, I just went ahead following the
>> adage "Qui ne dit mot consent".
> Maybe it's just Saturday morning, but what exactly is the goal of your
> VOAF effort? What problems with existing ontologies does it address?
> Just curious, as it sounds interesting...
>
> Egon

Egon,

If possible, please look at the links I posted in response to Bernard's
mail.

You can also look at some of my tweets about voaf (Twitter: hastag:
#voaf) which shows how the following questions can be answered:

1. What are the sources of terms used in a given vocabulary?
2. Who authored the vocabularies in question?
3. Which terms are most commonly used, across vocabularies, and when
where these vocabularies created?

Basically, we have a vocabulary graph endowed with de-referencable URIs
that provides an extremely powerful mechanism for holistic navigation of
the LOD cloud or other data spaces (e.g. within enterprise intranets).

All of the above still skims the surface of what VOAF delivers :-)

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen