Re: Semantics of rdfs:seeAlso (Was: Is it best practices to use a rdfs:seeAlso link to a potentially multimegabyte PDF?)

On 1/13/11 6:29 AM, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> The protocol deployed in FOAF and linked data clients requires it to be RDF.

Tim,

Assuming we are discussing HTTP based Linked Data in a protocol sense,
doesn't client side content negotiation come into the mix? The client
knows what it wants, so it should be able to attempt transformations
(worst case) in order to remain inline with data format requirement of
said protocol.
> We can push the community either way, but either we have to use rdfs:seeAlso in that way or we have to push a lot of people
> to change their fFOAF-generators and their FOAF-crawlers and their LOD-client libraries to stop following those links.
>
>> >  They are also clearly machine-accessible. If you are still not convinced: What about CSV files or text files containing ACE (controlled English), or OData / GData?
> Those do not wok in the protocol.

Why? I can understand breakage if the client expects RDF formatted data
solely, but not in a general sense re. structured data (i.e., data is
defined and constrained by a schema) based on an S-P-O 3-tuple structure
-- that includes de-refrencable URIs in the S, P, and O slots (optionally).

When our engine describes entities it can publish these descriptions
using variety of structured data formats that include RDF. The same
thing applies on the data consumption side. Basically, RDF formats are
options re. Linked Data (the concept).

> FOAF crawlers and tabulator wlll not use them to make a vast web of data as they do currently when they use RDF.

Okay, that I understand. Thus, I really think qualifying the protocol
as: RDF based Linked Data, will reduce confusion across the board.

Happy New Year!

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com