Re: Is it best practices to use a rdfs:seeAlso link to a potentially multimegabyte PDF?, existing predicate for linking to PDF?

On 1/13/11 8:44 AM, Bob Ferris wrote:
> "be strict when sending and tolerant when receiving" [1]
>
> I guess, we shouldn't expect to much ;)
>
> Cheers,
>

> Bob
>

> [1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1958

Bob,

That's the very reason why we sponge (retrieve) and transform
rdfs:seeAlso property values in our clients, if need be. Basically, we
use content negotiation algorithms to specify what we want, and then
transform if we don't receive a structured data representation of a
description graph, in desired format i.e., RDF family of formats, and a
few others we know how to handle.

The need to transform data to reflect the "sense" of the data consumer
is something we all have to live with (IMHO). If an app has a "linked
data sense" (I like Nathan's phrase btw), then said app should take on
the burden of transformation re. compatibility with its "sense", post
negotiated data retrieval.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com