Re: Is it best practices to use a rdfs:seeAlso link to a potentially multimegabyte PDF?, existing predicate for linking to PDF?

From: William Waites <ww@styx.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:45:46 +0100
To: Phil Archer <phil.archer@talis.com>
Cc: Vasiliy Faronov <vfaronov@gmail.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Peter DeVries <pete.devries@gmail.com>, public-lod@w3.org
* [2011-01-10 08:55:59 +0000] Phil Archer <phil.archer@talis.com> écrit:

] However... a property should not imply any content type AFAIAC. That's
] the job of the HTTP Headers. If software de-references an rdfs:seeAlso
] object and only expects RDF then it should have a suitable accept
] header. if the server can't respond with that content type, there are
] codes to handle that.

I disagree that we should rely on HTTP headers for this.
Consider local processing of a large multi-graph dataset.
These kinds of properties can act as hints to process one
graph or another without the need to dereference something.
(tending to think of graph as equivalent to "document
obtained by dereferencing the graph's name).

Slightly more esoteric are graphs made available over
ftp, finger, freenet, etc.. Let's take advantage of HTTP
where appropriate but not mix up the transport and
content unnecessariy.

Cheers,
-w
--