Re: Is vCard range restriction on org:siteAddress necessary?

On 04/01/11 11:49, Dave Reynolds wrote:
> The separation between the Site and the address isn't necessary in
> general, but it is necessary in order to reuse vcard. An org:Site isn't
> a vcard:Address [*] hence the need for the indirection.

I think there's some confusion between the vCard and the address. I
would have said that:

[] a org:Site, v:VCard ;
    v:adr [
      ex:addressLine1 "Unit 5" ;
      # or (if you prefer)
      a v:Address ;
      v:street-address "Unit 5" ;
      …
    ]

I agree that addresses are not the same as sites, but I'm not sure that
there's any need to use the org:siteAddress property to distinguish a
site from its v:VCard. Using v:adr with an org:Site maintains that
separation without needing the intermediate resource.

The vCard ontology doesn't give a general property for linking a thing
to its v:VCard, which suggests to me that the only way to discover
addresses in the general case is when properties in the vCard namespace
are applied directly to people, places, etc. (In other words the v:VCard
class simply means "a thing to which addresses, phone numbers, etc are
attached".)

I appreciate that claiming that org:siteAddress is unnecessary is
somewhat orthogonal to the original question! Are there any cases where
it might be needed?

Kind regards,

Alex

(Disclaimer: We take this conflated-vCard approach --
http://oxpoints.oucs.ox.ac.uk/id/00000000)