Re: Cost/Benefit Anyone? Re: Vote for my Semantic Web presentation at SXSW

On 8/19/11 6:37 AM, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Kingsley,
>
> One more attempt.
>
> The "press release" I pointed to was an example that would have to be
> particularized to a CIO or CTO in term of *their* expenses of
> integration, then showing *their* savings.

Yes, and I sent you a link to a collection of similar documents from
which you could find similar research depending on problem type. On the
first page you should have seen a link to a research document about the
cost of email spam, for instance.

CEO, CIOs, CTOs are all dealing with costs of:

1. Spam
2. Password Management
3. Security
4. Data Integration.

There isn't a shortage of market research material re. the above and
their costs across a plethora of domains.

> The difference in our positions, from my "context," is that I am
> saying the benefit to enterprises has to be expressed in terms of
> *their* bottom line, over the next quarter, six months, year.
For what its worth I worked for many years as an accountant before I
crossed over to the vendor realm during the early days of Open Systems
-- when Unix was being introduced to enterprises. That's the reason why
integration middleware and dbms technology has been my passion for 20+
years. I am a slightly different profile to what you assume in your
comments re. cost-benefits analysis.

> I "hear" (your opinion likely differs) you saying there is a global
> benefit that enterprises should invest in with no specific ROI for
> their bottom line in any definite period.

See comment above. I live problems first, then architect technology to
solve them. When I tell you about the costs of data integration to
enterprises I am basically telling you that I've lived the problem for
many years. My understanding is quite deep. Sorry, but this isn't an
area when I can pretend to be modest :-)

> Case in point, CAS, http://www.cas.org/. Coming up on 62 million
> organic and inorganic substances given unique identifiers. What is the
> incentive for any of their users/customers to switch to Linked Data?

I think the issue is more about: what would identifiers provide to this
organization with regards to the obvious need to virtualize its critical
data sources such that:

1. data sources are represented as fine grained data objects
2. every data object is endowed with an identifier
3. identifiers become superkey that provide conduits highly navigable
data object based zeitgeists -- a single identifier should resolve to
graph pictorial representing all data associated with that specific
identifier and and additional data that has been reconciled logically
e.g., leverage owl:sameAs and IFP (inverse functional property) logic.

> As I said several post ago, your success depends upon people investing
> in a technology for your benefit. (In all fairness you argue they
> benefit as well, but they are the best judges of the best use of their
> time and resources.)

Kingsley

> Hope you are looking forward to a great weekend!
>
> Patrick
>
> On 8/18/2011 10:09 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 8/18/11 5:27 PM, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>>> Kingsley,
>>>
>>> Citing your own bookmark file hardly qualifies as market numbers.
>>
>> My own bookmark? I gave you a URL to a bookmark collection. The
>> collection contains links for a variety of research documents.
>>
>>> People promoting technologies make up all sorts of numbers about
>>> what use of X will save. Reminds me of the music or software theft
>>> numbers.
>>
>> Er. and you posted a link to a press release. What's your point?
>>
>>> They have no relationship to any reality that I share.
>>
>> But you posted an Informatica press release to make some kind of
>> point. Or am I completely misreading and misunderstanding the purpose
>> of that URL too?
>>

>>> It's been enjoyable as usual but without some common basis for
>>> discussion we aren't going to get any closer to a common understanding.
>>
>> Correct :-)
>>
>> Kingsley
>>>
>>> Hope you are having a great week!
>>>
>>> Patrick