Re: Document fragment vocabulary

On 4 Aug 2011, at 15:58, Alexander Dutton wrote:

> Hi Damian,
>
> On 04/08/11 15:41, Damian Steer wrote:
>>
>> On 4 Aug 2011, at 14:22, Alexander Dutton wrote:
>>
>>> <#fragment> a fragment:Fragment ;
>>> fragment:within <http://example.org/something.xml> ;
>>> fragment:locator "/some/path[1]"^^fragment:path .
>>
>> I think you're mostly describing XPointer? [1][2]
>
> Ooh, yes — that's maybe a better fit for what I meant when I said XPath.
> I think I'd like a way of encoding "use this XPointer expression to pull
> something out of that document" as RDF. As far as I know that
> expression-in-RDF bit is missing.

XPointer can be used as fragment-id-from-hell, so use in RDF is straightforward:

<http://www.example.com/something#xpointer(//para[1])> ex:mentions <http://www.example.com/something-else>

>> By 'more generally' do you mean non-xml documents?
>
> Yes.

Ah, sorry I wasn't sure. There's quite a bit of work on fragments and multimedia out there, the most familiar being youtube's time offsets, and there is [1] from the W3C.

Damian

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/media-frags/>