Re: Discussion meta-comment

On 4/14/11 4:11 PM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2011, at 20:11, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> Essentially different text and no links.
>> Hugh,
>>
>> In this thread lies a simple example. If you gave me a link to the thread in question I am just a click away from truly comprehending your point. This forum is about Linked Data, right ? :-)
>>
>> Please (seriously now) give me a link that exemplifies your point. Context is inherently subjective, public forums accentuate this reality.
>>
>> FWIW -- I prefer to show rather than tell, I am also an instinctive dog-fooder so I link. The power of hyperlinks (links) continue to exceed my personal imagination. The productively gains that I enjoy courtesy of links is something I still can't quite quantify. That's why I haven't made a movie, post, or presentation (yet) with regards to the utter power of links.
>>
>> I await your link, I do want to be much clearer about your point.
>>
>> Kingsley
> Thanks for asking, Kingsley.
> Yes, I don't really want to just repeat the posting.
> So I looked at the latest thread on this list: "15 Ways to Think About Data Quality (Just for a Start)", to try to illustrate what I mean.
> Briefly:
> It started with a message with a proposal to try to quantify quality.
> It was followed by 4 people who seemed very interested and engaged, and who began to discuss the details.
> But that was quickly followed by a transition to an interaction that centred around discussing your demos, numbering more than 30 messages.

But you are overlooking the opening paragraph of the post.

You are overlooking the history of the post, including the fact that I
asked Glenn to make the post.

I asked Glenn to make the post because we've had a reoccurring debate,
and I've always suspected a fundamental disconnect.

If you could, please juxtapose the start with the final post.

> In my opinion, after the initial phase, the discussion then made little progress towards what might have resulted in an interesting consensus with a number of people contributing.
> An opportunity lost.

How can it be a lost opportunity? The conversation is threaded. And if
for whatever reasons the conversation is deemed linear to you, what
stops you opening a new thread with a tweak to the opening paragraph
which had a direct reference to opinions I expressed about the inherent
subjectivity of data quality, courtesy of context fluidity. Start a new
thread, don't make a reference to me, and my silence will be utterly
deafening, no joke.

As for the links, the purpose (as per usual with me) was to back up my
point with live linked data. Basically, if I believe data quality
subjectivity is a function of context fluidity, why not show the very
point via a Linked Data page that accentuates the loose coupling of
information and data that's vital to addressing the conundrum in question?

Kingsley
> Best
> Hugh

President&  CEO