Re: 15 Ways to Think About Data Quality (Just for a Start)

From: glenn mcdonald <glenn@furia.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:02:00 -0400
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Cc: "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
> So yes, I think you should feel a little embarrassed about broadcasting
> links to a demo in which the very first piece of data one sees is obviously
> wrong.
> To you the first piece of that is an owl:sameAs assertion. That's 100% fine
> for you, but that isn't true for everyone else. It just isn't.

Why, is the page dynamically reconfigured for other people? I'm not saying
"first" in some mushy philosophical sense, I'm talking about the first
attribute that appears in the structured-data section of the page, right
under the headings "Attributes" and "Values".

You've got billions of entities in dbpedia, and the technology doesn't care
> which one you pick, so surely you could pick one where the errors aren't as
> prominent.
> No, DBpedia doesn't have a billions of entities, that just one dataset.

What? Whatever: you've got plenty of other entities, so surely you could
pick one where the errors aren't as prominent. Here, for example, is the
next one I tried:

There are some dubious bits to this, too (she only "composed" one song?** a
person is "subsequent work" of a song?***), but at least this is a page
about a person that appears to be about a single person. Same technology,
better "demo".

In due course you will understand my point.

Understood your points the first hundred times you stated them. Any time
you'd like to take a turn understanding mine, feel free.

> You characterization is 100% inaccurate.

In the context of your insistence on the subjectivity of everything, I
assume this is intended as a joke. Funnier without the typo.

**Completeness failure
***Modeling Correctness error