Re: How To Do Deal with the Subjective Issue of Data Quality?

On 4/7/11 4:27 PM, Christian Fuerber wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
> IMO, data quality is the degree to which data fulfills quality requirements.
> As you said, quality requirements are subjective  and, therefore, can be
> very heterogeneous and contradictory, even in closed settings.

Yes!

> In my eyes,
> the most effective way to get a hand on data quality is to explicitly
> represent, manage, and share quality requirements.

Or discuss your way to agreed quality metrics for a specific audience.
>   This way, we can agree
> and disagree about them while we can always view each other's quality
> assumptions.
>   This is particularly important, when making statements about
> the quality of a data source or ontology.

Yes.

> Therefore, we have started to create a data quality management ontology
> which shall facilitate the representation and publication of quality
> requirements in RDF [1]. An overview presentation what we could do with such
> an ontology is available at [2]
> http://www.slideshare.net/cfuerber/towards-a-vocabulary-for-data-quality-man
> agement-in-semantic-web-architectures . As soon as we have a stable version,
> we plan to publish it at http://semwebquality.org for public.

Awesome! Off to take a look :-)
> However, no matter how hard we are trying to establish a high level of data
> quality, I believe that it is almost impossible to achieve 100 %, especially
> due to the heterogeneous requirements.

Yes. The scale of the WWW and its inherent architecture guarantees this
reality.

> But we should try to approximate and
> keep up a high level.

Yep, within clearly established context.
> Please, let me know what you think about our approach.

Naturally :-)

Note: No comments implies I've looked at it and don't have any thing to
add etc..

Kingsley
> [1] http://www.heppnetz.de/files/dataquality-vocab-lwdm2011.pdf
> [2]
> http://www.slideshare.net/cfuerber/towards-a-vocabulary-for-data-quality-man
> agement-in-semantic-web-architectures
>
> Cheers,
> Christian

> Dipl.-Kfm. Christian Fürber
> Professur für Allgemeine BWL, insbesondere E-Business
> e-business&  web science research group
> Universität der Bundeswehr München
>
> e-mail: c.fuerber@unibw.de
> phone: +49-(0)170 349 3992