Re: Next version of the LOD cloud diagram. Please provide input, so that your dataset is included.

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Anja Jentzsch <anja@anjeve.de> wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> CKAN is a repository for all kinds of datasets. Even if datasets are not open or only for non-commercial use, they can be listed and information on licensing can be noted (Other - Closed, e.g.). This is still a valuable information.

Hello Anja,

My comment was not a commentary on CKAN, it was a comment on specific
data set and it's relation to the LOD cloud - please have a closer
read.

However, now that you mention it, the opening line on the CKAN website
says: "CKAN is a registry of open data and content packages." The
words "open data and content" are linked to
http://www.opendefinition.org/ which explains what open means (it does
not mean closed).

So one of two things should be fixed with CKAN - either the statement
on the front page should be changed to make it clear that it also
registers closed data, or the closed data entries should be expunged.

> If no license is specified or we did not find the license information, CKAN lists the datasets as "not open".

Same comment re: having CKAN present a consistent view of what it does.

> Leigh Dodds had a closer look at the licenses of the LOD datasets some time ago [1]. It is sad but true that only about 23% of all datasets come along with a clearly defined license.

Yes, unfortunate. A similar audit should be done for the sets that are
named on the LOD (also "open") cloud.

> Hopefully data publishers will more clearly state the licenses along with their datasets to encourage people to use their data.

Here we agree, and part of my work is doing exactly that.

Regards,
Alan