Re: overstock.com adds GoodRelations in RDFa to 900,000 item pages

From: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 20:57:59 +0200
Cc: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>, public-lod@w3.org, semantic-web@w3.org
To: Paul Houle <ontology2@gmail.com>
Hi Paul:

On 07.10.2010, at 17:56, Paul Houle wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
> > wrote:
>     I've got mixed feelings about "snippets" vs "fully embeded
> RDFa".  For the most part I think systems that use snippets will be
> more maintainable,  but I've seen cases where fully embedded RDFa
> fits very well into a system and there may be cases where the size
> of the HTML can be reduced by using it -- and HTML size is a big
> deal in the real world where loading time matters and we're
> increasingly targeting mobile devices.

That is a common misconception - even very comprehensive RDFa in
snippet style has less than 1% impact on the uncompressed size of
typical HTML documents, see slide # 11 in

The additional complexity of maintaining RDFa that is densely
interwoven with the content for rendering is usually not worth any of
the potential savings in page size, in particular since

- the redundancy will be partly compensated by HTTP compression
- the page loading time has also a fix part for DNS look-up etc., so
that a linear increase in page size will not linearly increase the

>     The RDFa issue that really bugs me is that a linked data URI can
> be read to signify a number of different things.  Consider,  for
> instance,
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Rainbow_Bridge_(Tokyo)

What you are describing is no RDFa-specific issue, afaik, because it
is fairly easy to define separate URIs for documents and non-documents
using the about attribute, e.g. with a hash.

The only RDFa-specific clash I see are hash URI references that may
mean different things from an HTML and from an RDFa perspective.

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org