Re: overstock.com adds GoodRelations in RDFa to 900,000 item pages

From: Thomas Steiner <tomac@google.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 17:05:07 +0200
To: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Cc: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>, public-lod@w3.org, semantic-web@w3.org
Hi Martin,

We have discussed this off-list before, but maybe others would like to
chime in...

> I don't think it is sad; because using invisible div / span elements nicely
> decouple the organization of the visual content from the embedded data.

Martin, you never fail to hash-mark your #GoodRelations tweets with
#SEO. Decoupling triples and content raises an interesting SEO
problem: state A in the visible content, state B in the invisible
triples. Now which information do we trust? It's the "white text on a
white background" search engine fooling of the 21st century. I'm not
yet sure if it's a real problem, but could imagine that "tweaking"
price tags might be tempting to some. Opinions?

Thanks,
Tom

Disclaimer: I work for Google, but I have no insider information at
all how/if we deal with this.

--
Thomas Steiner, Research Scientist, Google Inc.