Re: Status codes / IR vs. NIR -- 303 vs. 200

On 11/12/10 11:51 AM, Lars Heuer wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
>
> [...]
>>> An example:
>>> <http://www.amazon.com/Identity-Crisis-Brad-Meltzer/dp/1401204589/>
>>> returns 200 with no machine-readable data (like RDFa).
>> Methinks RDFa is machine readable. The machine simply needs to
>> understand RDFa. Thus, if the user agent is committed to RDFa, it should
>> be able to interpret RDFa content; giving the content an option to
>> clarify matters re. whether an IRI is Name or Address.
> Of course RDFa is machine readable. My example was HTML *without*
> RDFa.

Ah! misread "no machine-readable data (like RDFa).." :-)
>>> If I use the
>>> identifier today, it has to be interpreted as "I talk about that
>>> particular IRI (an HTML document)".
>> No, that's only true if you interpret what HTTP is accurately relaying
>> to you re. your quest for a Document, as the end of the matter.
>> You to HTTP Server: GET me a Document at URL
>> HTTP Server: Found it (200 OK) or look somewhere else (30X).
> [...]
>
> I guess you didn't understand the example. Maybe I didn't explain well
> enough, though.

Misread as per comments above.

> [...]
>> Again, my response stands. That's the case re. Virtuoso. You are saying:
>> I haven't experienced that. Hence my insistence re. Virtuoso.
> A product cannot be the answer of the deeper problem.

I am not saying a product is the answer to a deeper problem. I am
saying, a product exists that demonstrates how a problem can be solved :-)

> Anyway, the problem of identifying subjects via IRIs is rather old
> (see [1] for one example) and it seems that there is no appealing
> solution yet (leaving Topic Maps aside for the moment)

It's old, but you can make a statement about an entity in the Amazon
data space by just tacking on "#this" to the URL (Address) thereby
making it a Name. Then say whatever about it in your linked data space.

> [1]<http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/HTTP-URI>
>
> Best regards,
> Lars

President&  CEO