Re: Role of URI and HTTP in Linked Data

On Nov 11, 2010, at 8:00 AM, David Booth wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 07:23 +0100, Jiří Procházka wrote:
> [ . . . ]
>> I think it is flawed trying to enforce "URI == 1 thing"
>
> Exactly right.  The "URI == 1 thing" notion is myth #1 in "Resource
> Identity and Semantic Extensions: Making Sense of Ambiguity":
> http://dbooth.org/2010/ambiguity/paper.html#myth1
> It is a good *goal*, but it is inherently unachievable.

Well, no, careful. It is unachievable IF the only means we have to pin down a referent is to describe it. But that isn't the only way we have.

In the 'real' world of ordinary language we often have the possibility of ostention. Q: "What do you mean by 'froogle'?"  A: "This, here in my hand, this is a froogle"  spoken while brandishing a teaspoon, say, leads to the hypothesis that 'froogle' means teaspoon, or at any rate some category which overlaps teaspoons. Arguably, this is at the root of how we learn language in the first place. (After all, if Quine were right about the indeterminacy of translation - 'gavagai' and all that - then it would be *impossible* to learn a language; and yet we all do it.)

What http-range-14 does can be seen as allowing conventional HTTP GETting to be a form of ostention. If an http: IRI succeeds in GETting a representation of something with a 200 code attached, then that's the Web saying, in effect, A: "What I mean by <IRI> is this thing here"  while it - the Web - is doing the closest it can GET to brandishing something, ie delivering you a Web awww:representation of it. (The question "What do you mean by <IRI>?" was your GET request, by the way, and a 303 response is the Web saying "I have no idea.")

Since the identification performed by HTTP GET is indeed unambiguous and unique, just as holding and waving a teaspoon is, this really does succeed in unambiguously identifying something. Just as with holding and waving, it only works with some things. You can't hold and wave, or HTTP GET,  a galaxy or a dead Roman emperor. But when it does work, it delivers unambiguous reference. And just as out here in the human linguistic world, we have evolved techniques for building on the near-at-hand examples to pin down relatively unambiguous referents for other things that are more remote, maybe we can start to do the same on the Web. It's a start, anyway.

Pat