Re: What would break, a question for implementors? (was Re: Is 303 really necessary?)

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
> Pete Johnston wrote:
>>
>> "This document mentions the following class"
>
> It's all very simple really, when you remove all the conflated terms.

I am not conflating terms and nor is my example, but I think you are (see below)

> What is this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>  xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"
>  xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#"
>  xmlns:wdrs="http://www.w3.org/2007/05/powder-s#"
>  xmlns:dbp="http://dbpedia.org/resource/"
>  >
>
>  <dbp:Toucan rdf:about="http://iandavis.com/2010/303/toucan">
>    <rdfs:label>A Toucan</rdfs:label>
>    <foaf:depiction
> rdf:resource="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6d/Pteroglossus-torquatus-001.jpg/250px-Pteroglossus-torquatus-001.jpg"
> />
>    <rdfs:comment>This resource is an individual toucan that happens to live
> in southern mexico.</rdfs:comment>
>    <wdrs:describedby
> rdf:resource="http://iandavis.com/2010/303/toucan.rdf"/>
>  </dbp:Toucan>
>
>  <foaf:Document rdf:about="http://iandavis.com/2010/303/toucan.rdf">
>    <rdfs:label>A Description of a Toucan</rdfs:label>
>    <rdfs:comment>This document is a description of the toucan
> resource.</rdfs:comment>
>  </foaf:Document>
>
> </rdf:RDF>
>
> <http://iandavis.com/2010/303/toucan> is simply another name for whatever
> the above is.

Nope. It's not at all. That text you include is the entity sent when
you issue a GET to the URI. Entity bodies aren't usually named on the
web. It's also a representation of
http://iandavis.com/2010/303/toucan.rdf

You are conflating the resource with the content of an HTTP message
sent to your computer.

You could interpret the tabulator property as meaning "the entity
returned when you perform a GET on the URI contains the following
class"

> Hints:
>  - it's not a resource
It has a URI http://iandavis.com/2010/303/toucan.rdf, anything