Fw: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Begin forwarded message...

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 00:32:50 +0000
From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
To: foaf-dev <foaf-dev@lists.foaf-project.org>
Subject: [foaf-dev] EON - event of note

Let's do a bit of collaborative work to flesh out a FOAF-like
lightweight vocabulary for describing events, suitable for embedding in
RDFa to describe concerts, conferences, birthdays, anniversaries,
national holidays and so on.

Sure, we have the iCalendar RDF vocab, but I've come to the conclusion
that that's more suited to representing calendar entries - not the
events themselves.

I'm thinking of a simple set of extensions for Yves Raimond's Event
Ontology.

Let's kickstart this with the class eon:Event which would be a trivial
subclass of <http://purl.org/NET/c4dm/event.owl#Event>.

Here's a sketch of how an event might look in Turtle:

	<#this>
		a eon:Event ;
		foaf:name "Lewes Bonfire" ;
		foaf:page <http://www.lewesbonfirecouncil.org.uk/> ;
		eon:date "2010-11-05"^^xsd:date ;
		eon:location [
			foaf:name "Lewes" ;
			foaf:page wikipedia:Lewes
			] .

Properties that I think should be included:

* eon:start and eon:end - which can be xsd:dateTime or xsd:date (if the
  latter, then the event starts/ends at an unspecified time on that day)

* eon:date - a subproperty of both eon:start and eon:end with range
  xsd:date.

* eon:location - range geo:SpatialThing

Probably need an attendee property and an organizer/participant
property. Maybe eon:cost, eon:details, eon:bookings.

I've placed a sketch on my data wiki <http://wiki.ontologi.es/>. Feel
free to edit; and add yourself as a foaf:maker if you do!

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>