Re: isDefinedBy and isDescribedBy, Tale of two missing predicates

Norman Gray wrote:
> On 2010 Nov 5, at 13:49, Nathan wrote:
>
>>  If the point was more that if you have a million #frag's in a single doc and you want to refactor that in to several docs, then (1) you can, just assert it so in rdf, and (2) don't do that in the first place.
>
> I don't think this argument works.
>
> I spend a little time recently LODifying an existing database (no link here, because it was experimental and hasn't been released).  That database has 14M identifiers in it, referring to nearly 5M objects, each of which has potentially quite a lot of information associated with it.
>
> I want them all to have URI names on the same pattern (this seems reasonable, and seems to preclude any partitioning of the dataset).  Using hash-URIs for these would effectively result in me sending the whole database to anyone who asked about any one object within it, which would surely be regarded as rather user-hostile.  No?

No, using hash URIs would certainly not mean that at all!!

Use the URI pattern you wanted to use and stick #i or something at the
end of each one. Hash URIs *do not* mean you put everything in one
document, it simply means that you have one identifier for the doc and
one for each thing described within it, whether you put 1, 10 or 100
things in the doc.

You can do everything with #frag id's that you can with /slash uris, the
only differences are that (1) you have a clear, understood everywhere,
distinction between doc and thing(s) (2) #fragids are several times more
network (HTTP) friendly, as things and documents are clearly separated.

Best,

Nathan