From: public-lod-request@w3.org on behalf of Nathan
Sent: Fri 11/5/2010 12:45 PM
To: Robert Fuller
Cc: Leigh Dodds; Michael Hausenblas; Ian Davis; Linked Data community
Subject: Re: What would break, a question for implementors? (was Re: Is 303   really necessary?)

Robert Fuller wrote:
> However... with regard to publishing ontologies, we could expect
> additional overhead if same content is delivered on retrieving different
> Resources for example http://example.com/schema/latitude and
> http://example.com/schema/longitude . In such a case ETag could be used
> to suggest the contents are identical, but not sure that is a practical
> solution. I expect that without 303 it will be more difficult in
> particular to publish and process ontologies.

Good point which needs discussed more, for instance FOAF returning 200
OK's would be a real PITA and even worse than the 303 pattern, 3**s are
definitely advisable in this case.

ps: introducing some form of ETag equality wouldn't be the best idea, it
may be possible to use Content-Location and ETag together to cache and
save doing the second request after a 303 though.

Best,

Nathan