Re: Is 303 really necessary?

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 09:34:43AM +0000, Leigh Dodds wrote:

> Are you suggesting that Linked Data crawlers could/should look at the
> status code and use that to infer new statements about the resources
> returned? If so, I think that's the first time I've seen that
> mentioned, and am curious as to why someone would do it. Surely all of
> the useful information is in the data itself.

Provenance and debugging. It would be quite possible to
record the fact that this set of triples, G, were obtained
by dereferencing this uri N, at a certain time, from a
certain place, with a request that looked like this and a
response that had these headers and response code. The
class of information that is kept for [0]. If N appeared
in G, that could lead directly to inferences involving the
provenance information. If later reasoning is concerned at
all with the trustworthiness or up-to-dateness of the
data it could look at this as well.

Keeping this quantity of information around might quickly
turn out to be too data-intensive to be practical, but
that's more of an engineering question. I think it does
make some sense to do this in principle at least.

Cheers,
-w

[0] http://river.styx.org/ww/2010/10/corscheck