Re: Is 303 really necessary?

David,

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 13:24 -0400, David Wood wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2010, at 13:17, Patrick Durusau wrote:

<snip>

> > But curious if you can point to numbers on support for 303s and
> > http-range-14? Might have enough flexibility but if not widely
> > supported, so what?
>

> Sure.  Both Persistent URLs (purlz.org, purl.org, purl.fdlp.gov and others) support http-range-14 via 303 responses.   DOIs (doi.org) also depend on 303s.

Sure, but those aren't numbers are they? Important places (I don't
usually cite articles other than by DOIs for commercial sources), but
that isn't indicative of widespread adoption.

Yes?

Compare to the adoption of Apache webservers for example?

> The issue that seems to be understated in this discussion is whether something should be abandoned on the Web because it is not used by "enough" people.  I claim (to the contrary) that something 'useful' need not be 'popular' to be important.

Sure, lots of things aren't "popular" that are important.

Personally I think Akkadian and Sumerian parsers (my background in ANE
languages) are important even though they are not popular.

But, when talking about language adoption (which is the real issue, does
the W3C TAG dictate the language everyone must use?) then numbers
(popularity) really do matter.

You may think that Esperanto was important, but it never was "popular."

I would rather please large numbers of users than the W3C TAG any day.
But that's just a personal opinion.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--