Re: Is 303 really necessary?

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> On 11/4/10 11:50 AM, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:

>> its up to clients to really care about the distinction, i personally
>> know of no useful clients for the web of data that will visibly
>> misbehave if a person is mistaken for a page.. so your you can certify
>> to your customer your solution works well with "any" client
>
> Gio,
>
> Keyword: visibly.
>
> Once the Web of Linked Data crystallizes, smart agents will emerge and start
> roaming etc.. These agents need precision, so ambiguity will cause problems.
> At this point there will be broader context for these matters. Please don't
> dismiss this matter, things are going to change quickly, we live in
> exponential times.

If the success of these agents is predicated on precision then they
are doomed to failure. The web is a messy place but it's precisely
that messiness that allows it to scale. Anyone building serious web
data apps is used to dealing with ambiguity all the time and has
strategies for compensating. Linked Data offers a route to higher
precision, but in no way is it a panacea or silver bullet.

Ian