Re: Is 303 really necessary?

On 11/4/10 11:50 AM, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
>> I think it's an orthogonal issue to the one RDFa solves. How should I
>> use RDFa to respond to requests to http://iandavis.com/id/me which is
>> a URI that denotes me?
>>
> hashless?
>
> mm one could be to return HTML + RDFa describing yourself. add a
> triple saying http://iandavis.com/id/me
> containstriplesonlyabouttheresourceandnoneaboutitselfasinformationresource
>
> its up to clients to really care about the distinction, i personally
> know of no useful clients for the web of data that will visibly
> misbehave if a person is mistaken for a page.. so your you can certify
> to your customer your solution works well with "any" client

Gio,

Keyword: visibly.

Once the Web of Linked Data crystallizes, smart agents will emerge and
start roaming etc.. These agents need precision, so ambiguity will cause
problems. At this point there will be broader context for these matters.
Please don't dismiss this matter, things are going to change quickly, we
live in exponential times.

> if one will come up which operates usefully on both people and pages
> and would benefit from making your distinction than those coding that
> client will definitely learn about your
> containstriplesonlyabouttheresourceandnoneaboutitselfasinformationresource
> and support it.
>
> how about this ? :-)
>
> as an alternative the post i pointed you earlier (the one about 203
> 406) did actually contain an answer i believe.  406 is perfect IMO ..
> I'd say a client which will care to make the distinction would learn
> to support it as in my previous example.

The trouble with all of this is that we are retrofitting an existing
system at two levels:

1. User Perception
2. Base Infrastructure.

It isn't easy, but is doable. We just need to keep the construction out
of the user realm. Middleware fixed such matters pre web, and it will
fix such matters as the Web continues to blossom.

Kingsley
> cheers

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software