Re: Semantic black holes at sameas.org Re: [GeoNames] LOD mappings

Thanks Bernard,
Always good to be discussing things around a common basis.
Sorry for the slow reply ­ very intermittent connectivity.

On 27/04/2010 16:38, "Bernard Vatant" <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com> wrote:

> Hi Hugh
>
> 2010/4/27 Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
>> Thanks Bernard.
>> Yes, I think the problems you raise are valid.
>> Just a short response.
>> In some sense I consider sameas.org <http://sameas.org>  to be a discovery
>> service.
>
> Indeed, so do I. The known issue is the overload of owl:sameAs, but you have
> an excellent presentation today of Pat Hayes and Harry Halpin just coming ...
> (you are at ldow2010 I guess)
I was, and enjoyed it.

>> This is in contrast to a service that might be called something more
>> definitive.
>> So I have taken quite a liberal view of what I will accept on the site.
>> We have other services that are much more conservative in their view; in
>> particular the ones we use for RKBExplorer.
>> So what we are trying to do is capture a spectrum of views of what
>> constitutes equivalence, which will always be a moveable feast.
>
> Agreed with all that. Maybe you could introduce a sameas ontology for
> different flavours of equivalence, containing a single property sameas:sameas
> of which owl:sameAs; owl:equivalent*, skos:*Match ... would be subproperties.
> In that case the "liberal" clustering would use sameas:sameas and the more
> conservative ones whatever fits.
It is interesting you should say that.
For many years we gathered equivalence information and republished against a
more complex ontology - that was the "right" way to do it.
Eventually I decided that the right way to do it was not the socio-technical
right way to do it, and added the owl:sameas predicate and named the site
sameas.org.
(Although you can still ask sameas.org to give you a different predicate if
you want, I think, but can't check.)
I know using owl:sameas is the "wrong" way to do it, but when we did it the
right way no-one showed any interest.
I think we needed to go through this phase of publishing as owl:sameas, so
that people would discover that it is problematic.

In a more reflective state, I might observe the following:
We have a community who work in URI equivalence who are looking for an
ontology to capture the concepts. If I was to be called in as a consultant
to this community I might go through a whole process of Knowledge
Acquisition processes, using a bunch of tools.
It is interesting that the URI community seems unable to capture the
knowledge into a useable ontology, when perhaps we expect everyone else to
be able to do the same thing for their areas of expertise.

What would a knowledge acquisition expert recommend for this ontology, which
we seem to think should be quite simply?

Best
Hugh

> BTW currently working in connection with Gerard de Melo at http://lexvo.org
> re. semiotic approach to this issue, connecting vocabulary resources
> (concepts, classes, whatever) through the terms they use. You might bring that
> on ldow forum.
>
> Have fun
Thanks: I am - on holiday!