Re: Public domain icons

The AIGA Professional Institute for Design has a set of Symbol
Signs<http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/symbol-signs>in the public
domain. These icons were "...designed for use at the
crossroads of modern life: in airports and other transportation hubs and at
large international events". Not every item you have listed is covered, but
some are. If the missing icons such as song, album, event could be
consistent with the AIGA set - anyone could read them. "These copyright-free
symbols have become the standard for off-the-shelf symbols..." It seems you
just need a few more off-the-shelf items with a central place to collect
them as needed.

Regards, Deborah MacPherson

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Stuart A. Yeates <syeates@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'm writing an RDF linter/visualiser and need some icons, preferably
> > public domain. I've been using Tango, but they don't cover all the
> > concepts I need. I want a coherent icon set covering the following:
> >
> >   - Person
> >   - Organisation
> >   - Group (of people)
> >   - Document
> >   - Project
> >   - Book
> >   - Video/Film
> >   - Song
> >   - Album
> >   - Event
> >   - Place
> >   - Review
> >   - Other/Generic
> >   - Unknown
> >
> > Anyone have any pointers?
>
> "Public domain" is complex for a number of reasons, but clearly
> licensed icons can be had at:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Clear
> http://openiconlibrary.sourceforge.net/
>
> cheers
> stuart

Deborah L. MacPherson CSI CCS, AIA
Specifications and Research Cannon Design
Projects Director, Accuracy&Aesthetics

The content of this email may contain private
and confidential information. Do not forward,
copy, share, or otherwise distribute without
explicit written permission from all correspondents.