Re: Resolving DC PURLs

David Wood wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Friday, 26 March, Ian Davis (CTO of Talis) reported that purl.org was rejecting some requests to Dublin Core PURLs [1].  I asked OCLC to increase the number of threads used by their PURL server and the maximum number of concurrent connections.  They complied this afternoon.
>
> At the time of the failures, OCLC reported that purl.org was rejecting between 20 and 60 requests per second for DC terms [2].
>
> It would seem that Linked Data clients are becoming more prevalent and that some of them are not particularly well behaved.  Perhaps we need to raise awareness of the importance of caching.

This is a big issue in general with linked data (specifically when
generated by scripts). Caching is at an all time low and it is having
serious effects.

One particular suspect is PHP (and thus the scripts created with it)
which has little to no support of anything http related let alone caching.

Raised awareness all round would be most beneficial to all.

Regards!