Re: Preventing SPARQL injection

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:16:47 -0400
To: Angelo Veltens <angelo.veltens@online.de>
CC: "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
Angelo Veltens wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my name is Angelo Veltens, i'm studying computer science in germany. I
> am using the jena framework with sdb for a student research project.
>
> I'm just wondering how to prevent sparql injections. It seems to me,
> that i have to build my queries from plain strings and do the sanitizing
> on my own. Isn't there something like prepared statements as in
> SQL/JDBC? This would be less risky.
>
> Kind regards,
> Angelo Veltens

The server should have the ability to control who can do what with SPARQL.

If you put SPARQL endpoints behind FOAF+SSL (for instance) and also use
ACLs at the Graph IRI level, the vulnerability is blocked (bar stealing
your machine and getting locating your private key).

Kingsley Idehen
President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com