Re: A URI(Web ID) for the semantic web community as a foaf:Group

KangHao Lu (Kenny) wrote:

> On 2010/03/27, at 0:27, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> Kenny,
>>
>> This URI is inaccurate re. DBpedia developers:
>> <http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/is-group/page/projects/Project13>
>>
>> To be precise:
>> <http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/is-group/page/projects/Project13> is
>> one of the teams that works on extraction and transformation of
>> Wikipedia content into RDF.
>
> Oops, my mistake, it should be
> <http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/is-group/resource/projects/Project13>
> , which is a doap:Project with information of developers, programming
> languages, and software information like that (or maybe it means a
> previous try on RDFizing wikipedia?). It certainly isn't
> <http://dbpedia.org/resoucr/DBPedia> if the latter means something
> conceptually broader. (Or you might want to make owl:sameAs link to
> two projects, I don't like this idea, though).
I am not saying it should be: <http://dbpedia.org/resoucr/DBPedia>, I
juxtaposed the two URIs to show how DBpedia continues to be loosely
described.

DBpedia != DBpedia Extraction Team.

I am referring to accurate portrayal of a very significant project re.
LOD and the resulting Web of Linked Data.

Kingsley

> [...]
>>> http://linkeddata.org/data . It can be maintained manually by Tom or
>>> we can have a very simple form for updating WebIDs of SWIG people.
>> Hmm, there once was an instance of Virtuoso+ODS at:
>> <http://community.linkeddata.org/ods> that actually gave all members
>> of LOD a URI.
> The point is we don't want machine generated URIs (sorry I can't see
> what's inside <http://community.linkeddata.org/ods> cause it's down
> for the moment). We should have triples like
>
> <http://linkeddata.org/data#swig> foaf:member
> <http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i>.
> <http://linkeddata.org/data#swig> foaf:member
> <http://bblfish.net/people/henry/card#me> .
> <http://linkeddata.org/data#swig> foaf:member
> <http://dig.csail.mit.edu/People/kennyluck#I> .
> <http://linkeddata.org/data#swig>
> foaf:member<http://kidehen.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this> .
>
> that is, URIs of different domains in the proposed file already,
> without asking these people to make the updates (this makes things
> easier, you know, for example, timbl would be too busy to even make
> such a little update). The rest depends on what's inside the FOAFs
> (bblfish, you ought to make DOAP for your projects and add links from
> yourself to those projects!!) We can use machine generated URIs, but
> we need to manually maintain those owl:sameAs mappings anyway.
>
>> All you have to do is walk through the LOD mail archives to see how
>> it came to an end. Tom Heath didn't want it there, and as far as I
>> was concerned, I simply wasn't interested in grappling with him; its
>> his domain (bottom line) and he has the right to do whatever with it
>> (my last comments in an old mail thread about this matter).
> I suppose you meant
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2008Apr/0116.html ?
> Could you give me another pointer if I am wrong?
>
> I guess Tom was simply unwilling to set up a system as huge as ODS. My
> proposal only requires a little space for plain-text N3. Anyway, I
> want to ask "what SWIG people are doing?" as fast as possible, so I
> prefer a simple approach.
>
> I could place this file in the domain of my organization, or we can
> ask W3C people to make such a little file. The choice of
> linkeddata.org is because it somehow represents our community, since
> it's the first hit.
>
>> Dog-fooding is what I sought, but I can only assume, my objectives
>> where totally unclear.
>>
>> There is a strange irony that continues to play out with this thing
>> called the World Wide Web, it doesn't have an eraser, but we continue
>> to act as though it does or we can't be bothered to lookup the past
>> (even via Google) etc..
> It was a real pain to find the above link. Well, text search is like
> that, very silly. I would be very happy if I have to chance to SIOCize
> W3C mailing lists and make a SPARQL endpoint for that.
>
> Also, when something is brought up again and again, that usually means

President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen