Re: A URI(Web ID) for the semantic web community as a foaf:Group

KangHao Lu (Kenny) wrote:
> Hi all & hi Tom,
>
> Does the Semantic Web Interest Group (or the Linked Data community),
> as a foaf:Group or something equivalent, has a WebID(URI)? Sorry but I
> didn't check whether this has been brought up.
>
> If it doesn't, I would certainly hope that it does have one. I think
> the best choice might be something like
>
> http://linkeddata.org/data#swig
>
> With that, we can "eat our own dog food" and are able to ask the
> following questions with SPARQL (doap-based questions)
>
> Question 1: What are all the semantic web people working on?
>
> SPARQL1 :
>
> SELECT ?person ?propject
> WHERE {
>     <http://linkeddata.org/data#swig> foaf:member ?person.
>    ?project doap:developer ?person .
>
> Question 2: What programming languages do semantic web people use?
>
> SELECT DISTINCT ?person ?lang
> WHERE {
>     <http://linkeddata.org/data#swig> foaf:member ?person.
>    ?project doap:developer ?person .
>    ?project doap:programming-language ?lang.
> }
>
> I mean, from questions of our interest, we can develop *our* Linked
> Data and we can also develop the DOAP vocabulary when needed so that,
> in the future, we can ask "What RDF backends does SWIG people use,
> Jena or Virtuoso or Sesame".
>
> FYI:
> 1. timbl's WebID does link(that is, doap:developer reverse links) to
> two of his projects, namely, tabulator and CWM
> 2. Dbpedia, as a doap:Project, does have a URI
> <http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/is-group/page/projects/Project13>,
> and it is bidirectionally linked to it's developers.

Kenny,

This URI is inaccurate re. DBpedia developers:
<http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/is-group/page/projects/Project13>

To be precise:
<http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/is-group/page/projects/Project13> is
one of the teams that works on extraction and transformation of
Wikipedia content into RDF.

As I am sure you know, RDF is only part of the picture re. Linked Data
(we had RDF without resolvable identifiers for many years prior to LOD
bootstrap via DBpedia).

You do require:

1. Generic HTTP URIs
2. RDF Quad Store with SPARQL support
3. Scalability and other pragmatic features

To produce what is generally know as DBpedia.

Chris: Please fix the triples associated with:
<http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/is-group/page/projects/Project13>, best
you make the role of your Team clear. Ditto the role of Leipzig etc.. It
certainly isn't: owl:sameAs <http://dbpedia.org/resource/DBpedia> .

> So, for things to work. I would just recommend to place a N3 file at
> http://linkeddata.org/data . It can be maintained manually by Tom or
> we can have a very simple form for updating WebIDs of SWIG people.
Hmm, there once was an instance of Virtuoso+ODS at:
<http://community.linkeddata.org/ods> that actually gave all members of
LOD a URI. All you have to do is walk through the LOD mail archives to
see how it came to an end. Tom Heath didn't want it there, and as far as
I was concerned, I simply wasn't interested in grappling with him; its
his domain (bottom line) and he has the right to do whatever with it (my
last comments in an old mail thread about this matter).

Dog-fooding is what I sought, but I can only assume, my objectives where
totally unclear.

There is a strange irony that continues to play out with this thing
called the World Wide Web, it doesn't have an eraser, but we continue to
act as though it does or we can't be bothered to lookup the past (even
via Google) etc..

The Web is a great recorder of events and historic context.

Kingsley

> The spirit is very similar to http://data.semanticweb.org/ , but since
>
> 1. I am not an academic person, so I am not even on the list of people
> 2. I found manually created RDF much more useful than those generated
> by machine (this is controversial, I know) and I would be happy to see
> more cross-domain links, that is, Tim's URI should be
>
> http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i
>
> not
>
> http://data.semanticweb.org/person/tim-berners-lee
>

> The choice of http://linkeddata.org/data is because:
> 1. linkeddata.org It's the first google hit of "Linked Data"
> 2. Unlike those sites generated by large systems such as SemanticWiki,
> I think linkeddata.org is more flexible to make little changes like
> this one.
>
> What do you guys think?
>

> Have a nice weekend,
> Kenny